Sunday 17 April 2016

Free Shipping - Not Just for Holidays Anymore

During the holidays, the words "Free shipping!" seem to be everywhere. But I've noticed of late that I am receiving more and more requests from retailers to post Free Shipping offers. It has become so prevalent that I have even devoted a whole page to these offers.


 With fuel prices being what they are I've relied on free shipping for quite some time. Living in a fairly rural area, going into town to buy one item is not cost effective. Add to that the fact that I will usually wait until I have several items to buy --- usually at stores several miles apart, shopping becomes an all day event. Then there is the frustration of traffic, something that didn't bother me in my youth, but seems to aggravate me more as I get older. And of course there is the cost of at least one meal in town --- this can be nice if chosen correctly, unfortunately it usually winds up at the fast food located closest to the store I'm near. So with time, fuel and extras I've already spent more than if I paid for having the item shipped. Free shipping makes it a clear bargain.


 It may seem to the consumer that this comes into the category of "nothing is ever free" leaving us to wonder if we are truly getting a bargain. It may seem a heavy cost for the retailer, but in the long run it will pay for itself. Free shipping can lead to a significant improvement in customer loyalty. When online shopping the retailer does not have to pay the brick and mortar overhead and saves in employee costs of sales help.


 Since more and more retailers offer free shipping, this has become a definite area of competition. Where there is competition, the consumer usually wins out. However, not all free shipping offers are created equal.


 Restrictions on price, weight, preferred shipper, shipping time, and expiration of the offer all comes into play. Sites that offer no restrictions will usually receive my business repeatedly. The more time we have to spend figuring the rules, the less likely we are to go back to the site.


 So, when comparison shopping, these are the things to keep in mind: 

 Is there a price limit? Sometimes it makes sense to add an item to your cart to take advantage of the shipping. I look at this as a discount on my overall order.


 Is there a weight restriction? Adding that second item may actually take you out of free shipping so be careful to look at your shopping cart after adding the items.


 Does the site tell you if there are geographic restrictions for delivery? Take into account taxes for this. If you are purchasing the item from your home state, you may have to pay sales tax. I usually figure this into my shipping costs.


 Are some items available for free shipping, but others not? During the holidays I may find it better to purchase from two different stores in order to get free shipping on both.


 Is the offer for a limited time? If you are "thinking" of buying, you may wish to look elsewhere.


 Are there choices for shipping? If you have a preference of shippers, FedEx, USPS, etc this can figure significantly. Some retailers' will only offer free shipping if you ship via a specific vendor. 

 What does the site say about shipping insurance? For items with a significant value, I prefer to have insurance, whether through the shipper or the retailer.


 What is the delivery time? Generally most retailers offer next day shipping. If I have to wait for an item to be shipped, I may go with another retailer in order to receive the item in a timely manner.


 Can you send to another address? Especially during holidays, I need to have gifts shipped to a different address than my own. Most retailers allow this, but some don't, be sure to look.


 Don't be afraid to advance through the shopping cart. Some offers are not fully shown until you start the checkout process. If you find you are not getting the bargain you thought, cancel the order before you commit.


 So, when thinking of whether to run out to the store to buy that new blouse on sale, or school supplies for the kids, try going online to find the sales, and save some on your fuel costs

 Check Store-Finders Free Shipping link to see the stores that are currently offering Free Shipping [http://www.store-finders.com/freeship.html]
 

No comments:

Post a Comment